Sunday, February 28, 2010

Time


I can't believe how time has flown by. Just hours ago I remember being a little girl with chubby legs and tube socks, scampering up the hallway steps of the house in which I now sit. I remember the sounds of canned laughter on the television as we were entertained by variety shows and comedies. Who would believe today that Donnie Osmond was "a little bit rock and roll"? I never was a fan of the Walton's as I have a small family, and to me they were just over the top. Despite this we still ended every night of giddiness with "Good night John boy". I of course, was "Mary Ellen". Now the TV asks the question, "It's 10 pm. Do you know where your children are?" Our variety shows are American Idol-dissing fun along with your every day, who can we stab in the back reality shows? There no longer is applause when someone ends the sitcom by doing the right thing. Instead we see the stabber left alone with their thoughts as someones torch is snuffed out.

I read an interesting article today by Sharon Osbourne. (yeah, I'm as shocked as you are) And it basically said that the pursuit of "celebrity" is destroying our children. I've long been noticing the new culture of diva. How respect is rarely given for one another, but certainly something everyone feels they have a right to for themselves.

Sharon states:
*" Today, though, young people regard fame as a birthright. They have a sense of entitlement the size of one of my houses."

*"I recently heard about the work of an American psychologist who discovered that in the Fifties only 12 per cent of youngsters agreed with the statement, 'I am an important person'. By the end of the Eighties, that figure had risen to 80 per cent. I think we can all guess what it is now."

But this was the clincher:
she continues,
*"And because the traditional family unit has more or less collapsed, these children probably haven't been brought up with any real values. We used to call them latch-key kids. How many people do you honestly know who sit down together and have a family dinner every night?"

And so Sharon Osbourne becomes my kindred. Maybe even yours.

I love that young people have been a part of our lives. And I pray that they continue to be so. Because I really do think they are the most precious part of who I remember about my childhood. The world before corruption came. Before people failed and disappointed me.

And I think there is still a chance for an amazing future for the next generations children; if we'll stop with the post it note life on our daytimers to accommodate each child's color coded schedule; juggling and teetering a life out of balance before it's begun. And I think there is still a chance for us too. You can't take time back; but you certainly can start modeling a life that's back on track. And asking forgiveness where you need to, and asking for it even if someone needs to hear it.

The family is the first thing the enemy has historically tried to take away. It used to be with swords. Now it is taken away with time. And often times we've not even put up a fight. It's time to take it back. And to change the pursuit of "I am an important person" into "I am a part of something important". And make that your claim to fame.

*Quotes from Sharon Osbourne - The Daily Mail

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you had a blog. Very nice. Loved reading about your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela,
    Just read your post and WOW, somebody still believes in the sanctity of the family. Was beginning to think I was the only one. In fact, I just posted to my blog in regard to a foolish comment that Jennifer Aniston made about single parenting. I hope you'll check it out when you get a chance. Thanks. I look forward to following your blog. Kind regards, Kathy

    ReplyDelete